Launched as a replacement for The Six-
Producer Francis Essex spoke of the show's competition with Jack Good’s Oh Boy! "this is going to be a straight forward fight". Good retorted "the whole thing is very flattering that my former employers should have paid me such a tribute". Essex claimed at the time never to have seen Oh Boy! the show Dig This was meant to compete with. Essex had success previously with the BBC's Off The Record, so was considered a capable pair of hands.
However, it was not intended initially to be anything more than a stop-
The resident group were the seventeen-
The media were invited into rehearsals on the Tuesday before the first broadcast and producer Essex told Melody Maker "We were asked to put together a teenage show to replace 'Six Five' and we are doing just that. We are expecting it to run for at least 26 weeks." If the idea was to replace a failing format then the fate of Dig This was sealed before it had begun.
Singer Al Saxon was tried out in late January and added to the cast of singers including Gary Marshall, Susan Jons and Barry Barnett. Talking to Melody Maker about the future of the show producer Francis Essex claimed "We are booked until June and will then probably have a summer recess and we may be back in the autumn. So far I am extremely pleased with the series. It is a brand new show with brand new faces and is not out to copy 'Oh Boy' or any other production. Viewing figures dropped a bit after the initial show but have picked up since."
Complaints about the show seemed to suggest that it was big on noise, but low on energy and failing to attract the kind of rock and roll names in favour of Light Programme fare. However, it must have proved successful as it was announced in late February that the original thirteen week run was to be extended until the end of June. However, in early March sense prevailed when it was announced that it would be taken off the air later in the month due to poor ratings.
Producers had failed to address the main problem that plagued The Six-
A BBC spokesman told Melody Maker "We have been considering switching the show from the usual spot for some time. The competition from 'Oh Boy' did not influence our decision." Producer Essex explained his departure to Melody Maker "I volunteered the leave the show. I have been in TV too long to be upset by failures. Personally, I thought the show was wonderful, but it seems that it did not meet with full public approval."
The decision to cancel and replace it was made very quickly. Bob Miller & The Millermen must have been seen as a success as they were to be brought over to the replacement show Drum Beat scheduled to start at the beginning of April, while American drama Wells Fargo would fill the gap in the meantime.